To teach English in Japan, you must first meet all of the following requirements:

1. Be a native English speaker and a citizen of an English speaking country recognized by the Japanese immigration office (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, U.S.A. and other countries that recognize English as an official language).

2. Qualify to work in Japan with one of the following visa types:
A. Specialist in Humanities/International Services Working Visa (the most common for English Teachers in Japan): Applicants must have completed a Bachelor's degree (in any major) at a recognized post-secondary institution.
B. Heritage Visa: Applicants must be 3rd generation Japanese or less;
C. Spousal Visa: Applicants must be married to a Japanese National or be the child of a Japanese national.

3. No experience necessary. No ESL/EFL-type certifications required (such as Tesol or Tefl but these qualifications are an asset).